who's the best?
who's the best?
Geez-tough one
Steven Tyler, John Fogarty, Don Henley..etc
I wouldn't know where to begin
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future
Syd Barret or David Gilmore.
I just can't see David Gilmore as a frontman. Of course some posters here are listing their preferences for musicians/performers and probably not considering what makes a great frontman. To me, a frontman is charismatic, energetic, and someone with a larger than life persona--not just a person who happens to talk to an audience or sing most songs and/or play an instrument. Trent Reznor is another one who just doesn't stike me as a "frontman" per se; I don't think he would want to be thought of as a frontman. He doesn't seem to crave the spotlight; that's for sure. Furthermore, I don't see Don Henley as a frontman at all. None of those in question really exude a larger-than-life persona. They're great performers and musicians, but I don't buy them as frontmen. On the other hand, I can see Steven Tyler and Robert Plant making the grade for sure as well as Mick Jagger or even Axl Rose. Sebastian Bach is another one who has a lot of presence on stage. Bruce Dickinson and Ozzy probably qualify as well. Just my opinion though...
You wanted the best, you got the best...
Its funny you say that and you listed David Lee Roth. Hilarious.
[ QUOTE ]
Its funny you say that and you listed David Lee Roth. Hilarious.
[/ QUOTE ]
in the late 70's and mid 80's DLR was what every 80's frontman worked at being. Mix DLR and Steven Tyler and you have 90% of what great 80's Hard Rock front men were trying to be. Was DLR a great singer---NO but he knew how to be a great front man.
And May I add that if you have never seen Sammy Hagar live or on DVD he was a hack of a front man too.
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
Not sure what you mean when you write "funny that you say that" because your "that" isn't clear, but my point wasn't intended to be funny but if it brought some humor that is an added bonus. What I did say was that a frontman--to me--is one who is "charismatic, energetic, and someone with a larger than life persona." David Lee Roth embodied all of those traits; no question about it. Glad I could brighten you day though...
You wanted the best, you got the best...
David Lee Roth in his heyday with Van Halen embodied the quintessential Rock and Roll frontman...
You wanted the best, you got the best...
in no particular order: Plant, Vedder, Keenan, Reznor, Tyler, or Ozzy.
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
I would have to say Axle Rose used to put on quite a show
Bookmarks